Life Care Center of Valparaiso, located in Valpo, Indiana, is approximately an hour from Chicago and South Bend. Valparaiso features many local attractions, away from the city traffic. For local fun, we suggest:
- The Porter County tourism agency promotes events, hotels, restaurants and the Indiana Dunes region.
- The Memorial Opera House, constructed in 1893 as a memorial to Civil War veterans, presents theatrical and musical performances as well as community events such as graduations, weddings and school plays.
- Ogden Gardens is a four-acre garden landscaped with perennials, annuals, shrubs and trees.
- The Brauer Museum of Art on Valparaiso University’s campus features a nationally-recognized collection of 19th - 21st century American art and houses the largest collection of works by Junius R. Sloan.
- Taltree Arboretum and Gardens is a 360-acre oak preserve including the Taltree Railway Garden where a model steam train meanders through miniature conifer and woody plants retelling U.S. railroad history with scenes from the Civil War, westward expansion and industrial revolution periods.